Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Fun Stuff


Most of the time when Mama/Papa Shinsel come out to visit us, wherever we have lived, they are always helping us...helping us move, helping us pack, helping us with a newborn. This time wasn't different, but we did manage to do some fun stuff.


While Dave was working on a beautiful outdoor table for the neighbors, I'll post pics when I get them, M&P took Link to Buffalo Beals, an animal park really close to Hickory. We saw all kinds of animals including a camel, and we even close enough to feed and pet some...have you ever pet a giraffe before? Lincoln loved the donkey, because he loves to say, "Hee Haw." The place had a great play area, so while Lincoln was climbing up slides, I decided to feed the llamas. I guess I was taking too long, because one spit at me. Gross! Have you ever smelled llama spit, if not it is disgusting.


After a long day of moving, the whole family and the Edwards went out to Sims BBQ. It is a family run restaurant in an old barn. They have live folk bands playing for the cloggers. Of course, I brought my red clogging shoes, and of course Lincoln, Rachel and I danced!



I convinced Mom and another friend to have a garage sale on Saturday. I didn't want to just give away some things I don't need anymore, when I could sell them (remember, husband just finished school and is still job-less). The weather was against us, it started raining at 8 am. We decided to pack it up at 9, when we did, a couple with 4 kids and no jobs came by and offered us 20 dollars for what we could give them to resell later. Mom loaded up their whole van and gave them back their 20 bucks. I saw them driving down the road and the wife was crying. I didn't know why until Mom told me what happened. So, it was all worth having the garage sale after all! Plus, Lincoln enjoyed the price tags.





On their last night with us, Dave smoked some ribs. I'm not a huge meat lover, but DANG, his ribs are good! After stuffing ourselves, we headed off to Glen Hilton Park, right by the house. We fed the ducks and nasty geese and watched Lincoln do all his park tricks. He barely needs help going down slides now.





It wasn't hard to say bye to M&P on Sunday, because we will be seeing them in just a week. The plan is to live out in Oregon until Dave finds a permanent job. That way we can pay our bills and also spend time with the family out West!

4 comments:

  1. Hold the phone...moving to Oregon?! We need to catch up, I've clearly missed too much! I couldn't be happier about this! Well, I could be...if you were moving to Utah instead. :) However, I'll assume this means a trip to Utah at some point this summer and we'll look forward to seeing you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you guys are moving to Oregon! Sounds like you had a wonderful week. I am so glad you were able to help that family in need! So we will have to catch up when you guys get here and get settled! Happy moving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you guys had fun!

    Will loves to say HeeHaw now too. It's scary how much they're alike. They're totally sharing the same brain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our time in Hickory was great even with the rain showers.
    The William's are the most welcoming family and we love visiting them.
    Julie, the pictures you posted brought tears, (happy tears). It was fun playing with Link.
    We were glad we could be there to watch Dave graduate. Dang, I still didn't get a picture. Oh, well, life goes on, but he owes us one now.
    It will be fun to have you here.

    ReplyDelete