Thursday, January 20, 2011

My Handyman

Dave started woodworking in high school, and picked it up again last year. Below are some of the projects he has carved with a wood lathe or by hand. We decided to call his style, "Soft Modern." He is always up for a challenge, so if you an idea that you would like, I bet he could whip it up!

Last year, Dave's Christmas present was a wood lathe. He has made some beautiful blush and shaving brushes.







My parent's neighbors needed a custom grill table for their Egg Grill. I love the look of cedar wood!





His largest project has been this nativity set for our good friend. The pictures don't do this gorgeous set justice. My favorite piece is of Mary, Joseph and Jesus, carved out of Olive wood.







I think homemade Christmas presents are the best, especially when you don't have a ton of money to spend. Dave carved these mixing spoons for family members.




Just for fun, he helped a friend at work with his Christmas present, a Demon Deacon cornhole board for tailgating.

His next big project is a king-size sleigh bed. I can't wait for him to get this piece done, because this is one we are going to keep!

6 comments:

  1. I dig the spoon you sent for Xmas! However, last night it accidentally got slightly singed. It is so well balanced that it pivots very easily. And it did so right next to the flame of the gas burner I was cooking over. Luckily I caught it before too much damage occurred. Still very usable and very much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't wait to see the sleigh bed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, he is talented, the nativity set really is amazing. I too am excited to see the sleigh bed and super jealous of the king size!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my spoon. I have been making rice krispie treat pinewood derby cars for pack meeting (about 100) and it works like a charm. It feels good in my hand, and stirs tough stuff really well, and it is nice looking. I feel kind of bad putting it in the drawer with all my other tools. It seems like it should have a special place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW..... I am sooo impressed! I wish I could do stuff like that! I'll have to think of something really cool for Dave to make!

    I bet your sleigh bed is going to be amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is incredible. He is amazing. Can't wait to see the bed!

    ReplyDelete