Monday, February 10, 2014

The First Month

I need to start off by writing that I really do have the best in-laws! My sweet MIL gave up 3 weeks of her time to come out and stay with us. My FIL gave up over 2 weeks without his lovely wife. They are truely selfless and very generous people! Dave and I teased Grandma that we were going to lock the doors the day she had to leave. It was so nice to have a constant playmate for the boys, a kitchen fairy who did the dishes, and a personal assistant to cook meals and grocery shop.

Because Dorothy lost 12% of her body weight at the hospital, we had to get her weighed when she was 3 days old. It was the perfect time to try out her first dress.



She still hadn't gained any weight, so we had to go back when she was 1 week old. We were thrilled she gained 4 ounces!



At 2 weeks, we had to go back to make sure she was up to her birth weight. Thank goodness she made it. She was right at 7lbs 1 oz!



I don't know why this picture has a line above it, and why it won't let me make it centered. Sometimes I really dislike technology!

Also at 2 weeks, Papa flew out so that we could have her blessed at church. My hair dresser came out to the house to make us look fabulous. She cut Lincoln, Drake, Dave, Grandma, and my hair.

 




During this week, Drake had his tonsils and adenoids taken out as well as tubes put in. Because he is under 4 years old, he had to spend the night at the hospital. I was a wreck, because I couldn't be with him. Dave did a wonderful job of taking care of him. He did very well after the surgery. He ate 2 popsicles and had a couple crackers. It was when his IV pulled his arm that he started to get irritated. When he got home, he stopped eating and taking his pain medication. It was a very difficult time: lots of waking up crying and lots of holding him down to get some meds in him. Eventually, I had to call the dr to try and get some other pain medication for him. I sure hope this helps his snoring and sleep apnea!


The poor guy probably missed his only shot at playing in the snow this year. Papa and Lincoln took advantage of the little bit we got.


Week 3 we noticed Dorothy had some of the same signs as Drake did when he first got diagnosed with reflux. Her poor tummy would just churn, she was very gassy and fussy, wanted to eat every hour, hated to be horizontal, and would spit up violently (sometimes it came out of her nose). So, away to the dr we went again! She was prescribed the same reflux medication Drake used and the dr told me to stay away from dairy, which I was kind of doing already. I was surprised to hear that she was up to 7 lbs 13 oz. That means she almost gained a pound in a week!


 When I pick Dorothy up, I know she knows who I am. She just stares at me like I am so wonderful. It is also the best when we get smiles! She absolutely adores Lincoln. He can make her stop crying by singing to her and making her dance. It is really neat to see their relationship. Lincoln is always asking if Dorothy can come to or can Dorothy watch me play. When I gave Dorothy her first bath, Lincoln was right by my side. He will be such a good protector!


Before Dorothy was born, I was given a ton of bows. Drake thought it was hilarious to put them in his hair. Now that Dorothy has been around and has been wearing bows, Drake has changed his mind. I tried to put one in his hair and he told me, "No momma, I not pretty."

Here is the little sister at 4 weeks...



2 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how grateful I am that I was able to come to be with your family at the welcoming of little Dorothy to the family. I loved getting to play with Lincoln and Drake too. I'm also glad Dave got to be home with us for that first week. I still think of you during the day, and at times I know you would be taking Link to school, or going to the library or getting the boys ready for bed. You have your hands full, but you guys can do it and we just miss being close to watch and help more. We also enjoy each time we get to visit with John & Barb, they are very dear to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's precious. Little girls are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete