Thursday, February 3, 2011

Presents

Dave and I celebrated our 5th anniversary this week, and he gave me such a great surprise present. Being 20 weeks pregnant, my back has been bothering me. I got a text message from Dave with an address, right when he walked in the door from work. I asked him what it meant, and he said, "That's where you are getting your massage." Honestly, I started to cry! It was so thoughtful, and the thought of a massage made my back so happy. On my way home from the fantastic massage, I thought about some of the other presents Dave has given me. Most have been amazing, but some still make me giggle when I think about them.

First Christmas: Dave worked at a dive shop and got a good discount on the inventory. They had a new line of dive watches for women. He knew I needed a new watch (again so thoughtful), but asked my mom for her opinion about which watch. My mom and I have never had similar tastes, but Dave didn't know that yet. She told him the pink watch band with the pink face would be a good choice. I really am sounding like a brat right now, but it just wasn't my style, and Dave could tell as soon as I opened it. I felt horrible that I couldn't put a better face on and tell him I loved it. I hurt his feelings so badly that I thought I would never get another present from him again.

With the determination to redeem himself, Dave gave me the best, best present ever. He upgraded our honeymoon suite from a garden view to an ocean view! We had the best time in Jamaica, and I loved looking at the beautiful water from our room. Besides that, he gave me a different, fantastic watch the night before we got married. What a sweetie!


The view from our room






The first flowers Dave ever gave me. They were supposed to look like a fruity drink to get me pumped for Jamaica. We stayed at an all-inclusive resort, so we had many fruity drinks!


First anniversary: I was so excited about our first anniversary. Before I went to work, I laid out some of his favorite treats with a card, so he could wake up to a surprise. I got home from work early that day, and I came home to Dave playing X box. He thought I would be home later and hadn't gone out to get me anything yet. The next day, he came home with a plastic bag from the BYU creamery (small grocery store). He pulled out some cheetos, car freshener, ice cream, and a pair of socks that said, "I am not a cheerleader." What?! It is funny to me now, but again he could see I was a little disappointed.

Valentine's Day was just a couple weeks later, and once again he redeemed himself. I love cheesecake, but especially Cheesecake factory cheesecake! Dave ordered a whole cheesecake from the Las Vegas restaurant (closest to Utah), and it arrived in a container with dry ice. Once again, so thoughtful!! The best part, is that he wasn't sure if the first order went through, so he ordered another one. I was in heaven with 2 cheesecakes!

There have been other doozies, like a box of pop tarts (I think he went shopping with Corey for those.), and there have also been some other great ones, like a beautiful arrangement of roses. I just feel incredibly lucky to be Mrs. David Shinsel!

Reading through this I feel like a brat. I just need to add:
1. We have never had a ton to spend on presents.
2. I don't expect a present every holiday/birthday, especially when we don't have any extra money to spend.
3. It is hard to come up with a good surprise.
4. I have it very easy, because Dave doesn't like surprises and he tells me exactly what he wants.

Phew, I feel much better now, please don't think I'm a spoiled punk!

3 comments:

  1. First off...I loved this post. I giggled. Second, I totally miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog was funny! You just have to remember how differently we are "wired" from our sweethearts. Frankly, I hate to say this, but Dave didn't have a very good example on gift giving for birthdays, valentines, etc.
    It sounds like he does a good job covering his bases.
    Hope your Anniversary was good. I enjoyed recalling the events of 5 years ago with our family. It's hard to believe it was that long ago!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barry and I laughed out loud reading about your first anniversary gift. Yay for a massage, what an awesome gift!

    ReplyDelete