Sunday, February 12, 2012

Missing Dave

Dave has had a very crazy work schedule lately. It has been pretty tough with him gone and working so much. I know, I know, I have my parents to help, but it really isn't the same. With that being said, I'm so glad they are around to help with baths, dinner, entertaining, etc.

Lincoln has really taken this work schedule hard. He often cries for Dave and hates it when Dave has to commute to Winston. One day he was particularly upset, and I had no choice but to call Dave. The only way Dave could get him to calm down was to promise that he would teach Lincoln how to hammer a nail later that night. That fixed it right away. Who knew?? Another night Dave came home and Lincoln cried happy tears as he hugged him. I really am grateful that Dave has a job, but sometimes I would like to...never mind, I shouldn't write that, plus it's Sunday.

Oh man, I really don't want to make this a depressing blog, but the kids are sick again. Dear heavens, we have not been able to enjoy this beautiful winter very much! Before they came down with the current bug, we did escape to the mountains for the day. I was feeling spontaneous, so I packed up a lunch, strapped the kids in the car and took off. Our first stop was Mystery Hill, a fun little science center. The main room defies gravity. You can't really tell from the picture, but Lincoln's feet are floating in the air.




Our next stop is one of my favorite places, The Mast General Store Candy Barrel in Boone. I loved going there as a kid, because as the name suggests, there are barrels of candy, lots of candy to choose from. Lincoln had a great time picking out handfuls. We ate a little lunch and then headed to the park in Blowing Rock. It was a gorgeous day: we didn't need hats or gloves. Both boys were excellent travelers on the way home; even without a DVD player, ipad, or any other devices. We just enjoyed some good kid jams and the mountain views, plus the candy helped too!


I wish I had more pictures, but the batteries in the camera were dead. I can't complain, because Dave used the camera to take pictures of this:






A beautiful bracelet made of Claro Walnut. I am a very lucky lady for many reasons. I also loved waking up to this on our anniversary:




I guess this turned out to be a pretty happy post after all.

4 comments:

  1. I hear ya, having daddy gone isn't ever easy. And it is different with grandparents. They are great and wonderful and helpful, but it's not the same as having your hubby around. I love spontaneous road trips and I want to go to that candy store. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how my heart goes out to you guys and the boys. I know it is killing Dave too. Things will get better. They have too. Bless your heart for taking the boys on an outing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wouldn't it be great if daddy's didn't have to work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there!! I remember those weeks on end of Tob being gone when they our kids were little and it's just hard! Being sick also stinks! Love that you got to escape into the mountains for some fun though and what a gorgeous bracelet. Dave's a talented man!

    PS. I can't believe I just called my little cousin a man :-)

    ReplyDelete